15 Jun Alcohol and Under 18’s
83% of young people aged 14 – 19 years who drink at risky levels reported being injured because of their drinking and 7% had attended the emergency department of a hospital for alcohol related injury The link between risky alcohol consumption and the Justice system is also well documented
While some young people are drinking at home (18%) many are drinking at friend’s places (67%) with many also drinking at other locations such as a car, park or a beach. Given these places are unsupervised, it is important to remind and educate young people about safer strategies with their drinking to reduce alcohol related harms.
For example, things young people can do to enhance their safety are:
- Don’t pre-load on drinks before going out.
- Drink water in-between alcoholic drinks.
- Avoid drinking games.
- Avoid trying to keep up with or outdrink the others you are with.
- Have a friend tell you when you have had enough to drink.
- Go home with a friend.
- Know where your drink has been at all times.