Youth Legal Service provides representation on criminal matters and traffic offences for children and young people under 25 years of age, for offences within Western Australia.


Legal representation in courts within the Perth metropolitan area is limited by our capacity and current funding contracts. Our first priority is to provide legal representation to those appearing in the Children’s Court and then, as resources permit, those over 18 may be granted representation.


At this time, representation is restricted to Children’s Court matters.

Victims: Youth Legal Service assists children and young people with applying for criminal injuries compensation. Please note: Youth Legal Service has no capacity to meet the costs of medical reports or fees associated with Freedom of Information requests.


Respondents: Youth Legal Service acts for and assists respondents and provides representation and negotiation in reimbursement order hearings.

Youth Legal Service provides court representation and information about court processes regarding restraining orders.

With legal advice and representation

Youth Legal Service may not be able to help for the following reasons:


  • The young person is 25 years of age or older.
  • The legal issue does not fall within the Western Australian jurisdiction.
  • We do not have the relevant expertise.
  • We have a conflict of interest.
  • We do not have capacity.


Youth Legal Service will, however, provide you with information and/or a referral to another service that provides assistance with these matters or alternatively a community support agency which may assist and, in some circumstances, we will provide you contact details for private legal firms.


Youth Legal Service does not provide legal advice to employers, business proprietors and landlords.

Need Legal Advice?

If you require an interview with a lawyer on a legal matter please phone 9202 1688 to make an appointment, or fill out the online application form below and a staff member will get back to you.


Legal Information, advice and assistance will be provided in line with the Government of Western Australia’s COVID Safety Plan.

Translate »