Cannabis Laws

Cannabis (also known as marijuana, weed, gunja, dope, pot, grass, hashish, etc.) is a prohibited drug in Western Australia.


Whether the cannabis is in the form of a plant, leaf, cigarette or resin, it is illegal to:

  • Possess or use cannabis.
  • Sell or offer to sell cannabis.
  • Supply (give) someone cannabis.
  • Manufacture or prepare cannabis for use.
  • Cultivate (grow) cannabis.
  • Cultivate cannabis with intent to sell or supply.
  • For an owner or occupier of a place to allow that place to be used for cultivation, manufacture, sell or supply or use of cannabis.
  • Sell or supply a thing knowing it will be used in the hydroponic cultivation of cannabis.

Drug paraphernalia

Drug paraphernalia is anything that is used in connection with manufacturing, preparing or smoking a prohibited drug or plant, e.g. bongs, pipes, scales, etc.

It is an offence to:

  • Be in possession of any drug paraphernalia in or on which there are traces of cannabis.
  • Display any drug paraphernalia for sale in a shop.
  • Sell any drug paraphernalia. The penalty is more serious if it is sold to a child (under 18) than an adult.

Herbal smoking blends (synthetic cannabis)

New laws now make it illegal to manufacture, sell or supply or promote a psychoactive substance. A ‘psychoactive substance’ is any substance that when taken has the effect of causing hallucinations or change to thinking, behaviour, perception, awareness or mood or motor function or the effect of causing dependency. This means that manufacturing, selling or supplying ‘synthetic cannabis’ is now an offence.

What are the penalties?

If you are over the age of 14 and found with 10 grams or less of cannabis or a smoking implement with traces of cannabis and you have no previous drug convictions, the Police may issue you with a Cannabis Intervention Requirement.


A Cannabis Intervention Requirement requires you to complete drug counselling sessions. If you complete all that is required of you under this Requirement, then you will not have to attend court and ultimately get a drug conviction.


The penalties for drug offences vary depending on the seriousness and whether you are under the age of 18 or an adult. You will need to get legal advice about your particular situation.

More Information

Drug and Alcohol Office
WA Police
Drug Aware
TeensHealth Please note: this is an American website but may be helpful.

Print Friendly, PDF & Email

Please note: Laws are subject to change. Last updated November 2015.

Important: This general information is not the same as legal advice. You should speak with a lawyer about your situation. The information is based on a Western Australian context.