What age can I Get a Job?

Full time job

You can get a full time job:

  1. at the end of the year in which you reach the age of 17 and 6 months.
  2. when you reach the age of 18.
  3. at any age if you have completed the minimum requirements for graduation from secondary school.
  4. at age 16 to 18 if you have been given approval by the CEO of the Department of Education.


Part time job

You cannot be employed during school hours.


Children under 15 cannot be employed but there are exceptions below.


At any age, you can be employed in a family business or in a dramatic or musical performance or other form of entertainment or in the making of an advertisement or not-for-profit organisations.


From the age of 10, you can be employed to carry out delivery work between 6am and 7pm so long as you are accompanied by a parent or responsible adult and the work does not take place during school hours.


From the age of 13, you can work part-time in a restaurant, shop, delivering newspapers and advertising material and trolley collection.  You can only work between the hours of 6am and 10pm but the work must not take place during the hours you are required to attend school. Before you can obtain part-time employment, the employer must have written consent from your parents.


From the age of 15, there is no restriction of the type of part-time work that you are allowed to do, as long as it does not involve performing in an indecent manner and is subject to occupational health and safety and the work does not take place during school hours.


The CEO of the Department for Child Protection and Family Services can prohibit a child from employment or impose limitations on that employment if it appears that the wellbeing of the child is likely to be jeopardised.



More Information

Government of Western Australia, Department of Mines, Industry Regulation & Safety: https://www.commerce.wa.gov.au/labour-relations/when-children-can-work-western-australia

Please note: Laws are subject to change. Last updated July 2020.

Important: This general information is not the same as legal advice. You should speak with a lawyer about your situation. The information is based on a Western Australian context.

Translate »