School: Bullying

There is a lot of information available about bullying and the various types. If you are being bullied at school, then refer to the National Safe Schools Framework for detailed information on what to do.


For fast facts, visit the ‘Bullying. No Way!‘ website.


Your school must have anti-bullying policies in place and it is the school’s responsibility to address bullying in the school or to and from school. If they fail to address it, then the school may be civilly liable for any injury (includes psychological) or damage that occurs to you.

What can I do about bullying at school?

It is best to try to resolve the Bullying problem within the school, however, sometimes this does not occur. There are two options you can take to stop the bullying behaviour.


  1. If criminal offences have occurred, then make a complaint to Police.
  2. Apply to the Children’s Court for a Restraining Order against the bully.

Police Complaint

If an offence has occurred, such as assault, threats to injure or damage to property, this may be a criminal offence which you can report to the Police.


Reporting the matter, may involve you giving a statement to Police about what is/has occurred. Police may investigate the incident and charge the bully.

Restraining Order

A Restraining Order should only be taken out as a last resort when all other options have failed. You may also want to take out a Restraining Order to prevent the bullying from occurring outside school hours.


If the bully is under the age of 18, then the Restraining Order application is made in the Children’s Court. For more information, visit the Children’s Court webpage on Restraining orders.

Complaint against Principal or School

If you have a complaint about the way your school has handled your report about bullying by another student and you attend a government school, then you can make a formal complaint to the Principal of the School. If you are unsatisfied with the outcome, you can take your complaint to the CEO of the Department for Education.


For more information on complaints, visit the Department of Education ‘Disputes and complaints‘ page.


You may also complain to the Minister for Education.


You can also contact the State Ombudsman to look into the matter.

Print Friendly, PDF & Email

Please note: Laws are subject to change. Last updated November 2015.

Important: This general information is not the same as legal advice. You should speak with a lawyer about your situation. The information is based on a Western Australian context.